CommonLook PDF Update News
Release 4.2.4: Expanded integration, selection options and new documentation
- Mark remediated documents so they can be identified by CommonLook Clarity.
- Detect documents generated using CommonLook Office 1.2.1.
- Added two options for managing selection order in items selected by highlighting in the Physical View:
- Logical Selection Order (default): elements are selected (and hence ordered when they are dragged and dropped or cut and pasted) according to their sequence in the Logical View.
- Physical Selection Order: the elements are selected (and hence ordered when they are dragged and dropped or cut and pasted) according to their sequence (left to right and top to bottom) in the Physical View.
- Completely rewritten user manual.
- Compatibility with Windows 8
- Annotations not associated with their correct page under certain circumstances.
- Text duplication after applying changes when Artifact containers are nested.
- Using the Section 508 mode with an untagged document gave inaccurate instructions to tag the document under Acrobat 10 and higher.
- An exception was thrown while parsing documents in certain circumstances.
- Text was displayed incorrectly in the Logical Structure Editor for certain fonts/encodings.
- Applying changes corrupted text using certain fonts/encodings.
- After failing to apply changes, highlighting elements was disabled.
- The Width and Height attributes for Figures and Tables were sometimes set incorrectly, causing incorrect results when saving to other formats.
- Generating Speak Text from the g&h Data Tables checkpoint caused speak text to be created for <TD> cells directly rather than for <Span> tags within the cell.
- Removed the option to start in separate Content and Tags view. Only Merged View is available.
- Addressed issues in cleanup and application activation.
Release 4.2.3: Workflow enhancements and bugfixes
The latest CommonLook PDF is smoother than ever before, with improved list handling and more HotKeys for even greater efficiency! We've squashed a number of bugs as well. Enjoy!
- Prompt for the number of list items when inserting a new list.
- Prompt for the number of list items when inserting a new list item.
- When inserting a new list with a list item selected, the new list is inserted inside the list item.
- Represent TOCs as lists and TOCIs as list items (and treat them exactly as lists)
- Clear SpeakText in Verify and Remediate Tables and (g&h) Data Tables.
- Updated report design.
- New HotKeys:
- Alt + 1: Convert selected tag to Heading 1
- Alt + 2: Convert selected tag to Heading 2
- Alt + 3: Convert selected tag to Heading 3
- Alt + 4: Convert selected tag to Heading 4
- Alt + 5: Convert selected tag to Heading 5
- Alt + 6: Convert selected tag to Heading 6
- Alt + 7: Convert selected tag to Paragraph
- Alt + 8: Convert selected tag to Artifact (Container).
- Ctrl + 1: Create an H1 tag as a shared parent to selected elements.
- Ctrl + 2: Create an H2 tag as a shared parent to selected elements.
- Ctrl + 3: Create an H3 tag as a shared parent to selected elements.
- Ctrl + 4: Create an H4 tag as a shared parent to selected elements.
- Ctrl + 5: Create an H5 tag as a shared parent to selected elements.
- Ctrl + 6: Create an H6 tag as a shared parent to selected elements.
- Ctrl + 7: Create a Paragraph tag as a shared parent to selected elements.
- Ctrl + 8: Create an Artifact container as a shared parent to selected elements.
- Ctrl + 9 Create a List
- Ctrl + 0 Create a TOC
- Setup complains that a newer version of VC++ redistributables already exists on the machine.
- Highlighting an empty area from the physical view may cause an exception.
- Required “P” attribute (indicating the Parent of the tag) is not set in the original document. CommonLook now resolves this issue while assigning tag IDs. Symptoms include not being able to delete a cell in g&h Data table.
- Activation issues when system settings do not allow for collecting some metrics required for generating the System Information Key.
- Fix Common Problems does not recognize repeated characters in multiple text runs.
- Corrupted Speak Text/Alternative text when using an encoding other than ASCII.
- Some table Caption tags caused the logical structure editor and verify and remediate to exit unexpectedly.
- Merging documents may cause CommonLook to lose Linked Header association in tables.
- Selecting from the Physical View with Tag selection mode may cause parent/child tags to be selected.
- Selecting from the Physical View with Tag selection mode doesn’t automatically populate the properties panel.
- Verify and Remediate Tables displays Artifact text in cell text and speak text.
- Creating Artifacts as “Individual Parents” creates Artifact tags as opposed to Artifact containers.
- Text is repeated in certain scenarios.
- Artifact text (included in a table) appears inside the table when running Verify and Remediate Table.
- Setup sometimes fails when Adobe Reader is used as the default PDF viewer (as opposed to Adobe Acrobat).
- Fails to recognize tooltips when placed at the form field’s group level.
- Fails to save the report when Internet Explorer 9 is installed.
- Fails to physically delete annotations when deleted from the Logical Structure Editor.
Version 4.0: Lots of New Features!
If you've still using an older version of CommonLook PDF it's time to upgrade! Version 4.0 streamlines and simplifies the process of Section 508 verification and remediation with some very powerful new features!
A new menu item ("Verify and Remediate") has been added to the main CommonLook PDF plug-in menu. When a user selects this menu item, CommonLook PDF checks the document for Section 508 compliance and displays a list of identified compliance issues within the Logical Structure Editor. Compliance Issues can be either failures or items that require user attention.
As the user goes though each of the automatically identified issues, CommonLook PDF assists by displaying information and performing verification or remediation actions that are relevant to the corresponding Section 508 checkpoint. As each issue is addressed, CommonLook PDF removes it from the list.
Synchronized Logical Structure Checking
The user can navigate the document structure while simultaneously viewing the corresponding elements in the physical view. This structure navigation can be done automatically or one element at a time.
Streamlined Table Verification and Remediation
The user can select a table in the Logical Structure Editor and activate the table checkpoint window which provides various tools to verify and remediate tables.
- Resolved activation issue for clients switching between wireless and wired network connections.
- Fixed wording in the Script checkpoint.
- Resolved issue in footer artifacts.
- Added the ability to convert tags into artifacts and vice versa.
- No need to click “Apply” in the properties panel. New value is applied as soon as the user “tabs out” of the field.